image source wikimedia commons
1. The latin name for Elder is Sambucus Nigra and botanically it belongs to the honeysuckle ( caprifoliaceae ) family.
2. It is sometimes known as the Judas Tree, as it is said to be the tree Judas Iscariot Hung himself on.
3. Elder trees are found in Europe, West Asia and North America.
4. It is often associated in folklore with witches, English folklore suggests the elder tree is a favourite form for a witch to take.
5. In Russia a Elder tree planted outside the front door is thought to ward off evil spirits.
6. For the best flavour Elderflowers should be collected when creamy coloured, before they turn white.
7. The hard, close grained wood has been used for making combs, skewers, mathematical instruments and toys.
8. Historically, the flowers and leaves have been used to relieve pain, swelling and inflammation.
9. Fishing floats can be made from the varnished dried pith of the twigs.
10. The leaves are a natural insect repellent, which is why you see Elder shrubs planted around compost heaps and outhouses.